2 Way Delivery API

Hey everyone :)

Starting to get to grips with Kentico Cloud and really liking it so far. Great work :)

One question and forgive me if it's already been answered or is already possible...

Will it be possible in the future to insert/update/unpublish content items in the repository using the Delivery API? I get a lot of requests for user contributions to sites e.g. allow a front end user to be able to add an event/upload a new image etc which I would want to create as content items and then pull back onto the site (once approves by an admin).

Also is there an equivalent site like the ideas.kentico.com site for cloud?

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• JanL@kentico.com[email protected] Czech RepublicMember, Administrator, Kentico Staff admin

Hi Matt,

Great question! We've got quite a few requests for such feature and we're definitely planning on implementing it. But, as this would require a bigger development effort, we cannot be specific about when such feature goes out.

I've created a link to this conversation in our internal systems so that everybody is aware of it when we do the actual development.

As for the ideas.kentico.com alternative, feel free to post your thoughts here, in the forums. We'd like to hear all the details about your scenario. For example, which are the users allowed to do the updates? Would it be just a few well-known colleagues or a community of users? And, what would be the extent to which they need to alter the site's contents? Would you e.g. require to just those events and images to be uploaded, or most of the site's contents?

These are just my example questions, surely you can come up with anything you think of.

• MatthewSwainMatthewSwain Member

Hi Jan,

For the well known colleagues etc. I would envisage creating a user for them within the admin panel and settings any roles/permissions appropriate for them.

I am more talking about public users to the website, for instance I might create a running event or a cycling event and want people to be able to upload their own images/videos/description of the event etc. I would see this working very similar to how mainstream Kentico does it at the moment. Where i would create a new document, assign it a page type, set some fields and insert it into the tree all through the API.

Then once those images have been approved on the site by an admin user, they will pull through using the standard delivery API as normal.

I would expect to be able to create/update anything within the site through the delivery API as long as that content type/fields etc. are already set-up.

Thanks,

Matt

• JanL@kentico.com[email protected] Czech RepublicMember, Administrator, Kentico Staff admin

Hi Matt,

I see, you'd like to get write-enabled access to the whole content. I've asked our colleagues from the product team about whether such extent is planned. We'll let you know soon.

Jan

Thanks @JanLenoch :)
  • TomasH@kentico.com[email protected] Member, Kentico Staff mod

Hi Matt,

I'm glad you reached out with the suggestions. Actually, we're planning to implement Content management API (write API) in the following 2-3 months or sooner. This is the plan, but, naturally, no promises.

Thanks for describing your use case. I'm curious what the production and approval process looks like in more detail. I'd like to ask you following questions:

• You mentioned that users would produce events for instance. Could you identify other user-produced content? What content elements would the type have?
    • Would the users who produce events be public or would they be behind a login?
    • If I understood it correctly, admins who approve events would do it on the website, not in Kentico Cloud. Why would you do it this way?

Also, as you mentioned

I would expect to be able to create/update anything within the site through the delivery API as long as that content type/fields etc. are already set-up.

what would be other use cases for the write API?

I'm looking forward to reading your answers. If you'd like to share more details of your use case privately, please email me at [email protected]
    Maybe we could schedule a short call once we'll have a prototype/API design finished.

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for getting back to me!

You mentioned that users would produce events for instance. Could you identify other user-produced content? What content elements would the type have?

In theory I guess end users could produce any type of content is already available/set-up within the System. This was just one type of situation where this has come up for me personally before.

In the past I have seen situations where end users have uploaded their own Text (e.g. description of a issue for example), Images (e.g. upload your images of this event), Videos (e.g. Submit a video to the site for a competition) and then we have added these content items into the tree in Kentico via the API. Then when the administrator has approved them they have appeared on the website underneath the relevant event/competition/support ticket etc.

Would the users who produce events be public or would they be behind a login?

Generally in the past it has been logged in front end users, but I don't see why they could also be anonymous public users as well.

If I understood it correctly, admins who approve events would do it on the website, not in Kentico Cloud. Why would you do it this way?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, in this situation I would expect the administrator to log-in to Kentico Cloud to approve the events/images/videos/content etc. I wouldn't see the need to be able to do this on the public facing website.

what would be other use cases for the write API?

I guess the write API could be used for anywhere the user(s) interacts with the public facing website or App. For instance in a helpdesk type website/app I might create a customer in the Cloud and have support requests against that customer sit underneath them in the Cloud as documents. They can log-in to the public facing website or an app to see their support requests (Read access), create new support requests (Write access) and then a different user (support engineer for the company) might log-in and be able to update these support requests (Modify access) on the website. We might not want to give the end customer access to Kentico Cloud to view/see everything, we might want them to do all of this through the website/app. Currently that wouldn't be possible.

Hope this makes sense and yes I would be happy to have a call if you want discuss further. My email address is [email protected] when you would like to arrange one just drop me a note.

Thanks,

Matt

• leelee Member ✭✭

Take for example a site such as thecraftblog.com where community members on the front end can post their own craft projects (see inspirations).

Kentico CMS has something to handle this called User contributed Content ... I think this should be possible in Kentico Cloud too.

Hi @LeeConlin ,

Take for example a site such as thecraftblog.com where community members on the front end can post their own craft projects (see inspirations).

Thanks for the tip! That crafting blog is a nice example.