Content type permissions

MichaelKinkaidMichaelKinkaid TorontoMember, MVP MVP
edited November 2017 in Product Wishlist

Content Types are "the big show" when it comes to getting content, info, data, other into Kentico Cloud for a project. Just as there will be many different types of content - there will equally be many different types of role involved in managing that content e.g. editor, developer, admin etc.

As an example, with Content Types we see people modelling:
1. First class content entities e.g. News, Article etc.
2. Partial content entities e.g. code snippets, call to action
3. Navigation content entities e.g. navigation group, navigation item
4. UI localization content entities e.g. resource string group, resource string item
5. Workarounds for pretty much anything else that needs stored and edited by someone via the UI

Feature request
Based on the above, and also on having this request in a sales call ("can I limit what types of content a given role can access"), it would be good if we could manage access between a user's role and a Content Type - especially if the model is going to become large, full of Content Types that a standard editor will never use etc.

In this way, and the following is only an example, you could configure a project so that editors can manage (1) and (2), and more advanced users can manage (3), (4) and (5). Ideally the UI only presents Content Types that you can manage.

• LeeConlinLeeConlin Member ✭✭

Agreed. I want to be able to give content editors access to post news & blogs (including the relevant modular content) without giving them access to change other pages, heros, etc.

• ralphralph Member

• MichaelKinkaidMichaelKinkaid TorontoMember, MVP MVP

Actually the way contentful does looks nice (caveat - haven't played with it yet). You can create roles and in there create rules around content, media, content model and more.

• Czech RepublicMember, Administrator, Kentico Staff admin

Hi guys, I've noticed this thread had no response. Sorry for that.

We've added your feedback to our product board previously. I've made sure that your last comment, @MichaelKinkaid , was added to the board too.

BTW your reasoning makes sense to me. There are often first-class and other-class content types in models.