.NET: Caching

JanL@kentico.com[email protected] Czech RepublicMember, Administrator, Kentico Staff admin
edited February 2017 in Back-end Development

Please note: Kentico Cloud Deliver service serves content off a CDN network with latencies measured in milliseconds. As we do the performance optimizations through the CDN network, the performance benefit of caching would be rather minimal.

The CDN network is here to geographically replicate the Kentico Cloud content to each region so that it is always served off the closest datacenter. The content can be reached with one single URL (e.g. https://deliver.kenticocloud.com/project_id/items) but it always comes from the closest datacenter.

But, a caching solution could also help in another way. You might be interested in lowering the number of requests coming to the Kentico Cloud Deliver service.

If the data was kept in the cache of the application server for some time, then most of the requests could get served without consuming the CDN requests.

The following diagram demonstrates two facts:

• The latency of the request to Deliver is low as the closest physical CDN endpoint is selected
  • The app does not necessarily have to query Deliver and it can serve to client computers using its own cache

The question is, would this be useful to you? Could this be used as is, or should it be improved?

You could improve such configuration by also implementing the geo-replication on the app server (service) level.

For example, Azure has its Traffic Manager offering. It can be configured to redirect client requests to an instance of an Azure App Service app that's closest to the client.

The good news is that Kentico Cloud content can still be accessed with geo-agnostic URLs. You don't have to worry about whether you need to get the US, EU or APAC copy of the content.

However, the downside is that each app instance holds duplicate copies of the same data. If a cache invalidation mechanism is in play, then all the servers need to check for invalid cache data separately.

So, there's a lot of questions to discuss:

• Which reasons lead you to using/not using caching?
  • Are you planning on implementing geo-replicated .NET apps?
  • Would you prefer a fixed invalidation period (timeout)? Alternatively, would you require a signaling mechanism in Deliver that would announce cache item invalidations?
  • How would you deal with cache item dependencies (mainly in regards to modular content)? Would you configure dependencies on the app server side exclusively? Or, would you like Deliver to be able to announce changes in the structure of the modular content?

Feel free to discuss the topic here! We'd love to hear if this is what you'd use in your projects. Then, we could write an article and discuss how we can improve the Deliver .NET SDK, together with the community.

Comments

• JanL@kentico.com[email protected] Czech RepublicMember, Administrator, Kentico Staff admin

Hello, after a discussion with colleagues I've realized that you might be interested in lowering the number of requests. Not only in getting absolutely-zero latencies. I've adjusted the post accordingly. I look forward to reading your comments!

• tfayastfayas Member

I just created pretty much what you have in this article. But what i really want to see is that the Kentico Cloud API call gets it's data geo-centerically, meaning that Kentico Cloud doesn't need to reach out to the main data center (US or Europe) to get it's data. In order for an application to truly be Geo-centric, it needs the data replicated, not just cached, as caching only helps for calls that are the same, and sometimes things like API calls, user-specific data calls, etc would mean a penalty on each new call.

We would need:

Traffic Manager -> (Regional Web App) -> Uses Kentico Cloud API -> Hits an Active Geo-replicated Azure SQL Server for retrieving the data locally.

My first call from a Northern Europe Web App using Kentico Cloud was about 500 ms because it was not cached, which is still way to high :(

• JanL@kentico.com[email protected] Czech RepublicMember, Administrator, Kentico Staff admin

Hi @tfayas , thanks for your comments. I can clearly see your point and I'll add your notes to our product board.