Pre-filtered modular content types for contributor

JenFreyJenFrey Member
edited November 2017 in Product Wishlist

When a user wants to select a piece of modular content to insert on a page, it would be helpful if only the the content-types that are accepted are displayed for the user to select from, versus currently every piece of content is shown (and then validation is executed). It would make for a much more manageable view for the user if it only showed the content types that are allowed.

Comments

• JanLenochJanLenoch Czech RepublicMember, Administrator, Kentico Staff admin

Hello Jennifer,

Nice idea! You're right that it would be consistent with the way it works when you create a new content module (when you use the "Create new" button instead of the "Add content module" one). Ideally, if the user is not happy with the pre-filtered listing, they would be able to override the filtering in their ways (e.g. by clicking "Clear filter" and setting the filters from scratch).

Is that what you had in mind?

Thank you.

• aweigoldaweigold Member ✭✭

Hi Jan,

I think that's what Jennifer and I had in mind. Thanks!

-Adam

• @JanLenoch I give you a simple scenario:

• Editor is about to enter content to content model PROJECT
    • He will filter his inventory, so he can only see PROJECT types
    • He opens a project and must add a certain modular content model, let's say CLIENT to the content.
    • He clicks on INSERT and all he is seeing are PROJECTS
    • He must change the filter
    • He saves the PROJECT file
    • Now all he is seeing are CLIENTS, because the filter is consistent

All this makes a lot of clicking and filtering to edit a page. It's actually a bit awful...

• JanLenochJanLenoch Czech RepublicMember, Administrator, Kentico Staff admin

Hi @RalphSpandl , exactly, this is what happens. The app (I mean the front end, formerly "Draft") keeps the last used filtering criteria in its state. This alone is a good thing. Unfortunately, it also applies to the situation when a content module has to be picked.

Anyway, I've made a record in the right place where our product owners constantly evaluate user stories. I'll add a note that multiple people (including myself) find that behavior suboptimal.

Thanks for your feedback!

• JenFreyJenFrey Member

Yes, exactly the problem. Thanks for comments.